Thursday, June 19, 2008

The future is expensive

Following the success of their Climate Clever-er campaign last year, GetUp are hoping to soon run this ad on prime time TV (to make it happen, donate here).*

Both ads use humour to make their point; in both cases the government's proposed solutions are ludicrously inadequate when compared with the magnitude of the issue. High petrol prices are here to stay. There's no point cutting excise, whether by 5c or 10c, nor will knowing tomorrow's high price make it more affordable. We need to change our assumptions and behaviour, to discover that life does not consist in the abundance of possessions.
*Notice that GetUp are criticising Kevin and the ALP (not for the first time!). This is no Labor front.

5 comments:

Christopher said...

I like that video, this one by Clarke and Dawe is also very good

Mark Stevens said...

Love it!

Anonymous said...

Sorry to be off-topic, but just wanted to say I'm impressed by your blog, inspired by your journey and amazed by what similar tastes you have to me in theology, music, film, novels (somewhat) and perhaps politics. If only more Cure fans read N.T. Wright and appreciated Ulysses. Shalom, Nathan Hobby.

byron smith said...

Chris - yeah, I saw that one and like it.

Nathan - great to meet you. Why only "somewhat" similar tastes in novels? I assume it not something that I have missed (because there are plenty), but something I've included. Which one is not your style? And as for politics, is O'Donovan too Anglican? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Byron - I know there's something wrong with me, but I've never liked Hemingway, and my respect for Conard is grudging. (I suspect I'm just not manly enough.) And I know I should like Bridge to Terabitha, but I didn't. :(

I like what I know of O'Donovan. But politically (as theologically) I'm so influenced by Yoder that I might sound a bit... well, anabaptist compared to you. But I'm looking forward to reading more of your blog before making up my mind on that.