Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Ash Wednesday

If the lost word is lost, if the spent word is spent
If the unheard, unspoken
Word is unspoken, unheard;
Still is the unspoken word, the Word unheard,
The Word without a word, the Word within
The world and for the world;
And the light shone in darkness and
Against the Word the unstilled world still whirled
About the centre of the silent Word.

- T. S. Eliot, from Ash Wednesday.




Remember, mortal, that you are dust, and to dust you shall return.

Repent and believe the good news.

2 comments:

The Cheen said...

I realize I'm late to the party. But I love T.S. Eliot, and I love this poem. What a simplistic play on words and the Word.

byron smith said...

Yes, I love it too and rediscovered it on Ash Wednesday, which was a treat.

Do you mean "simple" or "simplistic"? It is certainly simple (or at least common), though I'd need to be convinced that it's also simplistic.