Friday, November 24, 2006

Heaven in the rear-view mirror: Links

As requested, here are all the links to the series on heaven.
I: Heaven: don't worry it's not the end of the world
II: In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth
IIa: Life and afterlife: quote and reflections
III: God is in his heaven...
IV: Heaven help us!
V: Heavenly salvation: origin, not destination
VI: Citizens of heaven
VII: Heaven is a place on earth
VIII: New heavens and new earth
IX: The Christian hope: The Resurrection of the Dead
X: Images of the future
XI: The end of the world: replacement or renewal?
XII: Spirituality as groaning
XIII: Aliens and strangers
XIV: Seeing God
XV: Series summary
XVI: Implications, or why matter matters
A few people have asked about the intermediate state and pastoral questions frequently asked. I will try to post something of a postscript on such things soonishly. A friend at college (Tony) has recently completed 15,000 words on such things and so I'll go and have a read, now that I have finished college (as of today!).
Thanks to Matt for doing most of the legwork on these links.
UPDATE: I do still intend to write something about the intermediate state, but other circumstances have delayed me for the moment. I will come back to this.

9 comments:

Mark said...

Can I add my name to the list of those requesting a post on the intermediate state ...

One of Freedom said...

Finished as in all done, or just done this semester?

byron smith said...

Mark - sure. It's coming sometime...

Frank - all done. Four years of seminary completed.

Christian - Great to hear you made it in! Hope you have a wonderful time. I'd love to chat sometime and give you some survival tips if you'd humour an old man.

As for my project on Augustine, there will be a copy in the MTC library (all the 4th yr projects get put there). Some of the thoughts were included here. Not sure about putting it all up on the web at this stage.

Matthew Moffitt said...

Well one Byron.

Michael Westmoreland-White, Ph.D. said...

Congrats on the end of this series and, more importantly, on finishing seminary. I know what an accomplishment that is. SOMEWHERE, I hope you can hear a proleptic, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this good series! The summary post and the links post are both very helpful.

byron smith said...

Thanks Matt, Michael and Aaron. It does feel good to get a bit of a break, or at least a slow-down for a few weeks.

David W. Congdon said...

Great series, Byron! And congratulations on finishing your degree. Hopefully I'll be a "divine" in about a year and a half. :)

J said...

Hi Byron,

I must say that I really appreciate that you have taken the time to post this series. It definitely gave me a lot to think about (in a good way). I can't wait to see what you whip up next.