Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Blog appearance: feedback

I've been intending for some time to update the look and feel of my blog. Many of the links in my sidebar are also either obsolete or missing. I have kept on putting these things off for a variety of reasons, but as you may have noticed, I'm trialling a new header and may get to the sidebar and other issues soon. I like the fact that the new heading uses an image, but don't think the text feels right and possibly the whole thing is now too fat. But my lack of IT skills is probably only surpassed by my lack of graphic design ability.

All feedback, critical or otherwise, gratefully accepted.

8 comments:

the don said...

i dig it!

Anonymous said...

Byron, I too like it, though I reckon that there's a wee clash of colours now with the brown-greenish background. That said, I read your blog via feeder, and so aesthetics is way down the list from content, which, by the way, is always top notch.

Sam Charles Norton said...

Ditto what Jason said. Tho' I like the byline more

Meredith said...

as one who is far more ignorant in matters of both IT and graphic design, i think the new header looks good. it does give a northern hemisphere kind of feel to things, though.

byron smith said...

Thanks for the input.

Jason - I agree, though fear making it worse. I am seeking more expert (i.e. spousal) advice.

Sam - Yes, the old one was way too wordy. There is a slight shift in emphasis, which I'll explain in a future post.

Meredith -You're also right. An Edinburgh-based image (like the header here) would perhaps be more appropriate. One the advantages of the present image is that it has plenty of sky, which gives room for my long title. I regret not giving my title a little more thought back when I started this blog on something of a whim.

If I get a chance, I might keep tinkering around as there are many more problems, especially with the sidebar.

Irith said...

Well Byron, I claim to know a wee bit about graphic design, and I think it looks fine! I wouldn't get too precious about the colour balance, different computers have different displays so you can never guarantee subtleties of colour balance. Looking forward to a rejuvenated side bar ;-)

Alan said...

I, personally, like the color and layout of your blog. The title is interesting, not too long. And the picture seems perfect for the feel and content of the blog. God bless you.

byron smith said...

Thanks, Alan!