Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Jesus and climate change III

Having given a brief caveat about scepticism and a summary of the global situation according to the IPCC, I opened the seminar up to discussion in small groups with the following questions:

• How do you feel about climate change/global warming?
• What do you think needs to be done about it? By whom?
• What might you be willing to sacrifice or change in your life to make a difference?
• And where might God fit into your picture? What would God need to do to convince you that he cares about our plight?
Series: I; II; III; IV; V; VI; VII; VIII; IX; IX(b); X; XI; XII; XIII; XIV; XV.

1 comments:

One of Freedom said...

Great questions!

The problem I've seen is that we tend to be overly confident in solving this crisis through technology. There are two big issues at stake for me, and these drive my answers.

First the issue requires a complete change in how we understand ourselves in relationship to this world. And second, that sort of change implicates everybody individually.

So your questions:
- I feel crappy about it, especially overwhelmed by the enormity of the task. But at the same time strangely optimistic in the possibility that there is more and more awareness and goodwill towards the environment.
- Everything we can do and by everyone.
- I've been adjusting my life, sometimes it is really frustrating becuase the changes one person makes are small and it is a huge fight with worldviews and biases that often lie under the surface animating my actions. Like Paul the things I hate... But when I am made aware I adjust.
- Without God I'd have no hope in this at all.