Friday, May 11, 2007

Let the little children come to...

...someone else. Jesus preferably.

Yesterday morning, I spent two hours teaching four classes of school Scripture to six to twelve year olds.

Last night, I spent two hours with Dr Matheson Russell teaching a CASE course on the problem of evil to about twenty adults.

I know which age group I prefer teaching. Scripture is a wonderful opportunity and kids are so often delightful, but putting twenty-odd together and letting them loose on me without much of a voice (or much experience, training or skill in dealing with primary and infants kids) is a recipe for general mayhem. I'd like to improve, but I'd also like to encourage those with an existing passion (and/or training) to get involved too (or simply instead!).

As for the CASE course, it's not too late to join. We had a great time last night, and there's still three more weeks to go. Thanks to SydneyAnglicans.net for some free advertising.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I was a totally dodgy scripture teacher - I was hopeless at crowd control. I remember one lesson and the kids were throwing chais around the room. at this point I discovered Koorong paraphanalia like stickers and Jesus loves me erasers to use as bribes. and it worked.

michael jensen said...

Hmm... the problem of evil, and the problem of little evils...

Jill said...

I teach two sessions of Sunday School each week - preschool and kindy kids, about 20 kids in total. My best advice for teachers of this age group can be given in two simple words 'Sleeping Lions'.

Andrew said...

Byron, you don't have any video footage do you? I would pay to see it!