Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Can we trust what the Gospels say about Jesus?

Andrew Errington, a previous guest-poster turned blogger has put together an excellent short resource for those interested in a brief introduction to the historicity of the four accounts of Jesus found in the pages of the New Testament. It can be downloaded for free. In twelve pages Andrew answers 'Where did the Gospels come from?', 'What are the Gospels?' and 'What evidence is there?'. An appendix looks at the non-canonical Gospels.
These ruins are just outside an important NT town. Eight points for guessing which one. Photo by HCS.

5 comments:

John said...

I think it might be Capernaum. That milestone to the left is from the Via Maris which I think led through Capernaum. It definintly went through Jericho as well but I'm going to lock in Capernaum.

- JRS

AndrewE said...

Hi Byron, thanks for the link. I hope people enjoy it. In the newest version, which can be downloaded, reformatting has meant the main section is now fifteen pages. Same number of words though, and it looks prettier.

I'm going with Nazareth, just because it's bigger than Cana.

Anthony Douglas said...

Well, I've been left a chance at Tiberias, so I'll give it a go.

You Haven't Heard of Him said...

I think the answer is no. I think the real question is, "Can we believe that Jesus ever lived?"

byron smith said...

Rick, have you tried reading the document my friend put together? I'm curious, can you name any reputable ancient historians who seriously deny the existence of Jesus of Nazareth?

And eight points to John. It is indeed Capernaum. Well done for noting the Via Maris.