Friday, March 06, 2009

Lent: a brief introduction

When I was growing up, only Easter and Christmas would enter into my year as structuring moments of the Christian calender. If you're going to have them, then you may as well celebrate them thoughtfully by adding Advent and Lent. Lent is to Easter what Advent is to Christmas, a time of preparation and anticipation for the great celebration to come. There are a number of good introductions to Lent around with suggestions on how to observe it. But here is a brief explanation from Rowan Williams:

Perhaps Lambeth Palace have adopted a Lenten approach to production. Or maybe they are simply continuing the great Christian tradition of amateur filmmaking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Byron,

This is excellent. I'm currently preparing some lenten studies and I think I might use this to introduce the series. Thanks for posting it.

Jason

Anonymous said...

Cheers mate, really helpful.