Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Lack of environment: a blog recommendation

• Australian? Check.
• Blogger? Check.
• Christian? Check.
• Living in the UK? Check.
• Deeply concerned that we're collectively heading into very dangerous waters as we burn every last scrap of fossil carbon we can get our hands on in order to run our shiny throw-away toys that distract us from the insanity of pursuing endless growth on a finite planet? Check.

Given that we share so much in common, I warmly encourage you to check out Lack of Environment, the blog of Martin Lack in which he rants, ruminates and reports on "the politics & psychology underlying the denial of all environmental problems".

I haven't been keeping up with a host of recommendations for blogs I've discovered over the last few years. Perhaps I will try to scatter a few more around, but you can also check out some of the links in the sidebar.

3 comments:

Martin Lack said...

Thanks Byron. I was born in the UK but, did not have a choice in the matter. Presumably, the title of the above was prompted by reading this...
http://lackofenvironment.wordpress.com/2012/02/18/nothing-new-under-the-sun/

Martin Lack said...

Oh no, How silly of me, your blog has been up and running for years!!!

byron smith said...

No problem. I'm a bit of a blog dinosaur. ;-)

As it happens, I picked the name of this blog somewhat on a random whim years ago when I was just fooling around and never really intended to run a blog for five plus years. If I had my time over, there is no way I would have picked such a long URL! (Nor would I use Blogger...) I had a go back here at explaining the significance of the phrase for me, though I later also clarified an important change of direction in the focus of this blog (when I changed the subtitle to its present form).

The irony is, of course, that when I started the blog, I had no idea that arguing for the ethical significance of our present ecological predicament would be an important piece of my PhD, taking up a fair chunk of one of my chapters.

As I just suggested over on the post to which you linked, a good book on this topic is called Something New Under the Sun: an environmental history of the 20thC.