Wednesday, June 07, 2006

World Cup for Theologians

Patrik has hit on a way of simultaneously avoiding the 'I don't have a TV during the World Cup' blues (for all you who, like me, suffer under this terrible condition) and maximising his blog hits with a nifty idea: a Theologians' World Cup. The idea is simple, go and vote now to ensure the starting line-up includes at least a few English-speaking names. Then keep voting for your favourite theologian until the winner takes all.

PS Patrik's idea has certain similarities with a suggestion I made on Ben's blog about holding a 'Theological Idol' series in which contestants were progressively voted off. Ah well, too slow once again. Well done, Patrik for inhaling the Zeitgeist.

6 comments:

Patrik said...

You don't have a tv either? Is that something you have chosen for yourself or something that has been inflicted upon you by outside forces?

Personally I think tv is very much a source of evil in our world, and havent had one for years. Improved my life immensely.

But the I don't like football.

byron smith said...

Is that something you have chosen for yourself or something that has been inflicted upon you by outside forces?
A bit of both. Mainly chosen, since we've had numerous offers of free TVs from friends and family concerned that we might be missing out. Not sure I'd classify it as an unmitigated evil, though. A few shows and documentaries go a long way towards providing some kind of justification.

Sport doesn't really float my boat either, but that's heresy in this country, so I try to keep quiet.

Patrik said...

I'll leave my argumetns of the inherent evil-ness of tv for a future post. But it is funny how people have difficulty imagine that life can be well lived even without tv... It seems a tv-free lifestyle is just to much of a provocation in todays culture.

byron smith said...

It seems a tv-free lifestyle is just too much of a provocation in today's culture.

That's certainly true. I've had numerous comments from friends who have struggled to put their finger on something when they walk in, only to realise it's the lack of a TV as the focus of the room.

Drew said...

I opted for the no tv... it seemed to confuse my parents. They resolved the struggle by giving me a small one.

It still bothers them though. They keep asking if I want one that is bigger!

It gets used about once a fortnight to view accumulated recorded episodes of the west wing...

byron smith said...

I said earlier that TV is not an unmitigated evil: A few shows and documentaries go a long way towards providing some kind of justification. At or near the top of the list is The West Wing.