Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Out of the closet meme

Started (as all good memes are these days) by Ben Myers,* this new meme should probably be called 'into the closet', since the idea is to make confessions about one's theology. Ben has collected many examples of the meme spreading if you want to get some idea of what I'm talking about.

I confess that I find the idea of blog confession more than a little odd (who will pronounce absolution?).

I confess that I think this meme is often just a chance to showcase one's theological credentials in the form of admitting embarrassing influences, or an opportunity to attack one's opponents through disclosing feelings of frustration.

I confess that I find both those activities more attractive than I should.

I confess that Augustine's Confessions is the real start of this meme.

I confess that to criticise a meme intended for a minute's amusement is probably small-minded.
*Though it was originally inspired by this post by Peter Leithart, it was Ben who turned it into a meme. I was then tagged by Rob, who is out of hospital again - excellent news!
I confess that I entered this cathedral with no intention of paying the (recently introduced and quite hefty) entrance fee, but just wanted a brief (free) sticky-beak - and so I walked in, asked the price (which I already knew), declined, snapped the shot, and walked out. I also confess I'll give twelve points to the first correct guess of which cathedral it is.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well... If I might offer a counter-example, neither Rob nor I did either of the things that you mention... ;-)

And MEH to you for being wet blanket for this meme... :-D

Anonymous said...

Yes, exactly. I feel this way about most memes.

Anthony Douglas said...

Salisbury seems overpriced...

Ben Myers said...

... who will pronounce the absolution?

Oh, alright then: "Ego te absolvo."

And speaking of "ego", you're absolutely right about the purpose of this meme (which is also the purpose of blogging in general): a shameless opportunity for self-indulgent bragging and bullying (and don't we love it!).

byron smith said...

Absolved by a coffee cup - there's a first time for everything.

byron smith said...

I confess that my self-righteous rant was to cover my shame at not having read enough theology recently to make an impressive post.

I confess that I feel defensive in response to Matt's defensiveness, proud at having successfully invited Dan up onto my high horse, and silly at having my bluff called by Ben.

This is fun. We could go all day here.

PS Anthony, I'm taking Salisbury as your guess for the day. Incorrect, sorry.

michael jensen said...

Thanks for sayin' what I wuz thinkin' Byron! I have to say many of the confessions are not exactly surprising, now, either!

byron smith said...

Go and check out Rev Sam's contribution to this meme. I found these the most moving of all those I've read.

Aric Clark said...

way to slice everyone to the quick!

Matthew Moffitt said...

Durham?

byron smith said...

Sorry - not Durham. I'd like to see Durham, but have never been there.

Matthew Moffitt said...

Canterbury???

byron smith said...

No, not Canterbury.

Jonathan said...

York Minster seemed to pricey for me the other day. Maybe if I'd been as bold as you, I'd be more sure about the photo.

I had the impression previously that you had thoroughly visited that particular cathedral, but it seems possible enough to put it forward as my guess.

byron smith said...

Jonathan - twelve points. Well done! This puts you into the lead for July.