Sunday, May 21, 2006

Blogging generously

Ever noticed how when bloggers comment on a blog, we make sure we slip in a reference to something on our page, but without explaining it? I guess the goal is to seduce other readers away from reading whatever obviously second-rate production is currently occupying their eyeballs and into one's own house of delights. Pride? Greed? A pastoral concern that continuing to read aforementioned second-rate blog (ASRB) will lead other poor readers astray? A pastoral concern that continuing to read ASRB will not lead others astray as much as one's own edgy and heterodox creation? Why do we do it? Can we blog generously?
PS Sorry to have already resorted to blogging about blogging. I won't do it again. Too much.

4 comments:

Ben Myers said...

Yes, good point -- in fact, I've just been discussing this topic over on my own blog....

;-)

Drew said...

you can't help blogging about blogging... it's inevitable to enquire about the medium, and how that structures what you read on a blog.

michael jensen said...

I was just about to say what ben said.

Damn.

s said...

Pride? Greed?

yep! But when I do it, it is about the selfless education of others!